During my personal study day, I decided to create some mixed media samples based on the leaf I heat transfer printed during my second print workshop. After learning all these new techniques, I decided to try incorporate all these skills into one piece. I started of with the lead because it was an interesting shape. I first got calico and stitched a leaf shape using blues and afterwards attempted using my own water based dyes for fabric onto the calico. The paints bled into the fabric and I thought it was a nice look. I then tested this idea out on some handmade paper I made in a workshop (sorry I don’t have any images), I first of all stitched into the paper and then lightly painted on top. This was a nice idea however the paper was hard to work with, and didn’t take the dyes how the calico did, which is what I liked.
As part of our course, we took a trip to St. Fagons Welsh National History Museum, in order to complete some drawing tasks. I thought the museum was interesting but didn’t understand the tasks completely, and what it had to do with my work as such. I doubt I’ll follow this up with images of my drawings, because I’m not the strongest drawer.
Today was our first stitch workshop, this is where we had our induction into using the workshop safely and professionally. We started of looking at all the different stitches that are you can do on this type of machine, we then got given packs of fun thread in a colour, and tested these out using these types of threads in the bobbin.
I had never used this technique before of tying thick thread into the bottom of the sewing machine and stitching upside down, however the results were really nice.
Issey Miyake is a Japanese fashion designer and uses new technology to create innovative textiles with both eastern and western influences for his clothing line. He started his own design studio in 1970 and started his Pleasets Please line in 1993.
Today we learnt the technique called shibori. This is a Japanese technique were you either fold the fabric, or what we did were we tied objects into the fabric and left it in a dye bath for roughly an hour, and when you remove the objects from the fabric, the fabric should keep its shape.
I tested this technique with coins, bolts and mini pegs. I photocopied the fabric before removing the objects, to show you the shape, and then took a photo of it, once I had removed the objects. I thought this technique was interesting, but don’t know where I would use this.
During the last of our sessions with Helen, we used all our previous techniques and created mini books. On each page we added different techniques including painting with stencils, drawing with scalpels, pleating paper and different mark making techniques.
During todays lesson, we tested three different dyes on lots of different fabric using resists. At the start of the lesson we were not told which dyes were which, so we just experimented with each one. We tied our fabric using string (like tie-dye) and we also used plastic shapes and G-clamps.
After finishing a few pieces, it was clear the blue dye hadn’t worked so well, however there was one particular fabric that each dye seemed to attract to. (not sure what this fabric is called though). We were then told what each dye was, and I created a chart with each of the fabrics on it, to show how each fabric reacts to each type of dye.