This term at University has flown by and I have really enjoyed this digital project. When we first got the brief with the three theme, I was quick to choose Urban Beat as my theme. I thought it was perfect, describing the work that I have done previously and what I am truly interested in, which is Urban Exploring. The words: decay, raw, edgy, urban, gritty and industrial express my constant theme in art work, as you can probably tell.
I already had previous experience with Adobe Photoshop, so using this program within the project I found really easy. However, attempting to learn and use Adobe Illustrator I found a lot harder, because it is so different to Photoshop. But eventually I have found interesting ways to use the program. The designs I have created I think show my true passion for this theme and I hope you can see that threw my work. Artists like photographers Marchand and Meffre and print designer like Miss Print have really inspired my work this term. Marchand and Meffre due to there themes and beautiful photographs, and Miss Print because of there simple yet effective designs. I have also found it useful working alongside Lucy and getting her input about my project, because she is part of the current print industry. I have had an insight into how the process of designing occurs and have found this helpful in thinking about my future potential.
I have now finished and chosen my final six designs, made headers ready for my show and created my Pecha Kucha presentation. I am so excited to show of my work, as I think I have worked hard this term and created a good outcome that stays true to the original brief. Never the less, I am normally a confident person, but the idea of presenting my Pecha Kucha presentation is so nerve racking, knowing that I need to stay in time with the presentation and say everything I need to in such a short space of time. But lets just prey for the best.
For my show I have chosen a beautiful bronze piece of card to head all of my work. To keep within my industrial theme. I think this works well and looks very professional. Also with my new skills that I have learnt I have created a beautiful piece of extra work using this bronze card and the laser cutter. I drew out a cog design on Photoshop and transported it into Illustrator to create an outline for this. I then waited 30 minutes for it to be cut out and placed it on black card so it stands out. Which I think will add something extra to my show.
I really hope people see my work and can see I am passionate about it. I now see the potential in digital textiles for my future career and am excited about the future and what it will bring me.
After creating my screen and receiving my finished and washed piece of digitally printed fabric I then wanted to screen print onto it. Although the fabric had shrunk making it awkward to match with sizes, I still went ahead with the screen print with bright orange foils. I knew the intricate design would be a problem but I thought it might look slightly better then it came out. I’m glad this was just a test piece, but seeing others work makes me inspired to keep trying with this idea.
This is my digital print, printed onto fabric. I was so pleased with the result. It was a quick way to get a clear print onto fabric. However, it did shrink in size. So this method could be slightly awkward if you want it to be a specific size. The colours look so bright and beautiful.
This is my chosen final six designs for my project. I choose these designs because I think they fulfils the brief very well.
Urban beat depicts a dynamic raw energy with a gritty undertone. A modern-metro- an edgy course, cool approach to design. Street strength/ graffiti/ industrial materials.
I think these designs represent the words urban, raw, decay, edgy and industrial. And i think they work well as a collection. I can’t wait for my presentation and show.
This design, I had orginally created on Photoshop. So when I attempted the colour ways I instantly merged the layers and using the ‘fill tool’ spend ages colouring in sections. However, I thought this was really sloppy. As you can see that the third design along the right hand said there is still remaining black shapes where I found it time consuming to fill in. Not to mention the circle within the print.
I eventually re-opened the document and merged the layers together of just the concepts. Making it easier to edit the colours and make it more presentable. I made some new prints using patterns of colours in rows, which i think looks nice. But I will be using the original as i think it works best in the collection.
With three of my final designs i attempted to change the colour ways, to experiment with other possible ideas for the same print but in different colours within my colour scheme, on art boards. These are the only designs I felt able to do this with because when I started creating the print, all the pieces are individual symbols making it easy to edit the colours quickly. However both my Photoshop designs I found more challenging to edit. And lastly my triangle vent shaped object was extremely difficult to edit because I created this when i first started using Illustrator and the objects I edited in Photoshop so each shape was an image and not a vector. This made it difficult, but as you can see my knowledge of illustrator and photoshop has improved.
After evaluating my old design, that used the same concepts. I re created two new designs looking at patterns that repeated. Both of these designs follow the wind mill pattern, however, I think I prefer the second one based on that fact that the blue screws are close together, there is less white space and I its less confusing on the eyes because you are drawn towards the four screws that are closely together.