India- Day 8

This morning we traveled to the ‘Fine Art School’ to study the art of miniature paintings. Before arriving I assumed we were being taught how to make the paint brushes to create the miniature paintings but when we arrived i was presently surprised. They showed us how to paint out the elephant drawings we have seen on the market stalls since we arrived. With a demonstration board and teachers coming round showing each of us the steps. First of all a teacher came round and drew an elephant on the top of the paper for us to copy. after copying it in pencil we then were given black ink and a paint brush to outline the elephant. afterwards we added colour to the elephant, I choose pink as I thought this would look cute. We added the colour around the edge then I added water in the centre making the colour fade out. after this we used the black to add lots of detail including patterns on the saddle and the face. We then decorated the outline creating the finished piece. I was overall really pleased with my drawing because I’m normally very un confident but it went much better then I thought.


Afterwards one of the teachers took us to his home where he sold many of the groups work, here I bought two miniature paintings one in red and one in pink, as I thought it would be nice to frame mine next to theres, when I returned home.

In the afternoon we were taken to a dye workshop where this man showed us a quick demonstration, the art of shibori. With step by step details of what he was doing. First of all they tied small nots of thread on sections of the of the fabric. The done it so quickly with such precision but it would of taken me ages just to do it once. Once completed they boiled a pot of water to 80/90 degrees Celsius. He said the hotter the water the brighter the colour will be, and to always start with the lighter colour first, for example yellow, then pink, then black. First soak the fabric in cold water. Add dye to the boiled water and mix, once mixed add the fabric into the dye for five to ten minutes. Once completed then remove the fabric from the dye and place back in the bowl of cold water.  He then retied the fabric a new way and placed back into the boiled water with a new colour to add a new patten. Again after five or ten minutes he then removed it and placed the fabric back into the cold water. They then stretched the fabric out making all the ties fall off quickly and placed in a dryer. The completed fabric looked beautifully bright with a stunning pattern and an interesting texture where the thread was tied previously.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s